21 August, 2009

18 till I die...

My earliest memories of her date back to the “bhoomi pooja” (or the customary ceremony that is performed to inaugurate the construction on a new site) that we performed. During the later months, I remember accompanying my grandmother and parents many a times to monitor the construction progress throughout its various stages. As we completed the planned ground floor of the house, dad with his penchant for space and luxury, infused more money into her and very soon the little wonder grew up to be a three-storeyed one. It was like a vision taking form. A east-facing house in a quaint locality in Bangalore’s desirous Indiranagar was like a dream-come-true to all of us. The house when completed, was every neighbour’s envy and of course was the owners’ gigantic pride.

Fondly christened as “Meenakshi” after Muthi’s name, this house soon became a very integral part of our growing up years. I remember how Muthi, with her green hands, painstakingly build her garden with over a 100 pots of plants on the ample balcony space; the varied flowers that flourish on the pots there and Muthi plucking them out everyday for adorning the Gods’ pictures inside; the diverse vegetables like brinjal, drumstick, pickle-lemon, avarekkai etc that she used to grow in her garden making it quite a sumptuous meal for us all the time; how the wide terrace area provided abundant room for over 15 dogs that we used to nurture and rear; the warm summer nights that I used to like spending on the terrace under the jeweled sky; the numerous hide-and-seek games that we used to play inside the house with the cousins who used to visit us often; the street wearing a bright golden-yellow hue with the Tabebuia blossoms every year with the onset of spring; the house illuminated each year with diyas during Diwali and Karthika festivals; the bright illumines with lights and decorations with coconut leaf pandals & flowers on mine and the sibling's wedding eves... the memories remain vivid in my mind as I sit down and reminisce

It was on 22nd August 1991 that we conducted our “Grihapravesham” and commenced living there. Every year on this day, we used to visit the nearby temple to thank the Almighty for blessing us with her. Tomorrow is 22nd August 2009 and the house that grew old with all of us completes 18 years of proud subsistence. She was sold 2 weeks ago to someone else and I know that we wouldn’t have another anniversary to celebrate her existence in our lives. This person who has bought her from us may continue to live there or pull her down to erect a new one in her place but I can only look back at the days by-gone and silently thank her for being there with us..for us all along. Although I have melancholic feelings inside me, I know that, albeit with forlorn hearts, Muthi, Dad, Mom and our 2 year old lab puppy Achhu are moving to newer grounds, newer lives and newer experiences.

9 comments:

Veena Menon said...

vans,
It is a very emotional phase...we have soo many memories binded with her.....

vrinda said...

hey vanchi... excellent write up... i loved it... its really emotional... i'm really gonna miss that house too

Vani Menon said...

Che & Vrinda: Thanks v much. I am glad that you understand the emotion attached to this house.

Vinod said...

Nice writeup Ammu. We'll miss 2610 or 'Meenakshi'. It had become an integral part of me as well or rather the other way around. We bid adieu to the good times we had there in a few days with very fond memories (allow me to echo your thoughts)in search of better times and better experiences. The house has given everyone associated with it the strength,courage and ability to move on towards a better tomorrow and by far that is the best gift it has given to all.

So with a heavy heart, but with great pride and respect..I take a bow...

Vani Menon said...

Thanks V.. I understand how you feel about her too.

Unknown said...

hey vanchi...
this was really amazing.. the way u hav brought out the essence of our home.. am gonna miss it.. a lot.. the house has nurtured our growing up days in a lot of ways..
but, as you hav said, it's for the good.. the new home, newer experiences are waiting for muthi, accha, amma and our acchu boy :)

Vani Menon said...

Yup Viji..we are all gonna miss having her around and I can totally relate to how you feel about it too..

Unknown said...

Very Emotional Vani... I understand the pain as I have undergone this phase of life.. Its very painful to leave the home we grew up with.. :(

Vani Menon said...

Thanx Ash. I too feel emotional everytime I read through this myself.